Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Genius

Hey boo,

How's it going?  In case you were wondering, I'm a genius...

So, 2/3 of the kids are on antibiotics for their ear infections.  Their prescription says they need 1 teaspoon, 2 times per day, for 10 days.  Typically, this should use up the entire bottle.

Well, last night I noticed that despite being through 5 days of antibiotics, we are not even close to using up half the bottle.  What the heck?

Well, looking back, I had noticed that the syringe that came with the medicine seemed really small... But I didn't question it that much, I assumed the pharmacy knew what they were doing.  So, I just filled the syringe up to the 1.0 mark.  The units on the syringe were not in teaspoons, but I thought maybe it's an even conversion...

Apparently, it's not.

I couldn't remember what the units were on the syringe, so when I got to work, I quick Googled a 1 teaspoon syringe.  I found an image of exactly what ours looked like, and the units were mL (milliliters).  Crap.  Another quick Google, and 1 teaspoon is actually equal to about 5 mL... Ugh...

Honestly, I don't know why I didn't pay attention to the units.  I mean, it's kind of my thing.  I deal with units every day.  I do conversions every day.  Granted, most of the time they are units of length or area or volume (not liquid volume), but still...

So, I call the doctor's office and speak with a nurse regarding the fact that I've been giving the kids hardly any medicine for the last 5 days... She laughed.  I wanted to tell her that once upon a time I was somewhat smart...   But anyways, she said that it's fine, I can just start giving them the correct dosage now, until the bottle is finished. So it will go a little longer than 10 days now.

But still, I'm just like, dangit! I hate giving the kids antibiotics in the first place.  And now I feel that since they were getting hardly any, it was helping to build their resistance to it, which isn't good.  I really have no idea if that's true or not, but that is just my theory.  Ugh...

So anyways, genius alert, right here.  At least I was giving them too little, not too much!

Anyways, this is me:  zzzzZZZZzzzzZZZZ

Love.


No comments:

Post a Comment